This post has been read 37031 times!
Facebook may not seem very user friendly at times, I’m sure we could all come up with a 10 point list of things they could change to make it more so!
It would make sense to be able to like a page as your business right? But Facebook Profiles and Pages operate very differently.
Do not create a Facebook Page from the main login of Facebook! You MUST create a business page via your Profile otherwise you will miss out on all the marketing opportunities available to you!
Although you can like a Page as your Business by switching between your Profile and your Business Page name, you will not show in the “likes” box on the Page itself. Likes ONLY count from a Profile not a Business Page.
To switch between being “yourself” and “your business page” follow these steps:
- Visit your Business Page.
- On the right hand side of your Page you will see an “Edit Page” button, with an “Admin” panel underneath (only you as the Admin can see this). Directly underneath are the words “Use Facebook As…….”
- Click this link and you will automatically become your Business Page name and can browse Facebook, comment and like posts by friends, peers and companies (a great little marketing tip – but please remember not to Spam and always end your comments with your name, politeness doesn’t cost anything)
- To switch back, in the same spot where you found the “Use Facebook As….” before you will find “Use Facebook As (Your name)”, simply click and you have switched back.
- You can also switch back and forth (if you run many pages) by clicking the “cog” at the top of your screen and then the “Use Facebook as a Page” link, choosing the Page you wish to be at that moment in time.
- You can also “switch your voice” whilst on Facebook – you can read more about that here.
You may also find that on occasion when you have switched to your Business Page name and you find a Page you want to like, it isn’t actually a Facebook Page at all but a Facebook App, which is an entirely different beast altogether. When you do happen across an App, Facebook will request that you switch back to your Profile before you can like the Page, if you do so they will also ask you to approve the App and that it can access some of your Profile information.
An easy way to avoid the frustration of landing on an App is by entering your search term in the Search box and clicking the “See more results” link at the bottom of the Search Box as Facebook will show you the top 5 results. Once you do this on the left hand side you can select “Pages” so you can target your likes.
Help – I Can’t Like a Post or Website Page!
I frequently get emails asking me why this is the case. When you are logged in as your Business Page and leave Facebook, you won’t be able to like stuff around the web. Always make sure you have switched back over to your Profile before you leave Facebook otherwise you won’t be able to Like and Share stuff to your Newsfeed.
I’m sure at some point in the future Facebook will make these processes a little easier, but for the time being once you get used to switching and having a little play around with how you use Facebook as your business page, it does get easier!
Latest posts by Emma Ewers (see all)
- Friday Facebook Tips from my Page - April 4, 2014
- The One Reason You Can’t Run A Share Competition on Facebook - November 30, 2013
- How to Run a Facebook Competition under the New Promotional Guidelines - September 14, 2013